Friday, January 17, 2014

"0 is not a size"?

So, it's been a hot minute since I've posted on here! I have noticed an article circling around Facebook for a while now, and I thought I would just share some of my thoughts about it. 


http://www.mtlblog.com/2013/09/sophia-bush-declares-war-on-urban-outfitters/
The article is about Sophia Bush, an actress from One Tree Hill, and her war against Urban Outfitters over a shirt that said "Eat Less." (You can find out more about the story and the picture of the shirt through the link I posted underneath the picture!)

Now, while I agree that a shirt saying "Eat Less" is incredibly stupid...and not to mention an incredibly ugly fashion decision...I have to say, I was instantly annoyed by this picture that Sophia posted in retaliation.

"0 is not a size."

Actually it is.
Because I wear a 0.
And actually, I wear a 00 to be correct.
I am 22 years old, 5'1" tall, 98 pounds, and I wear a 00.

As women, we all know that we are constantly berated with images in the media of the "perfect" female body. There have been a million articles about the effects of these images and the unrealistic goals we put on ourselves. "The women in those pictures don't actually look like the women in those pictures." We all know this, we've all learned this, we've all realized this. Does it make it any easier? Absolutely not! In the end, we still want to look like them! My roommates and I sit around and talk about how fat our arms are on a routine basis. True story.

Am I against a shirt that says "Eat Less"? Heck yes I am! Like I mentioned above, not only is it downright silly...but I honestly want to know who went out and bought a graphic tee that actually said that. (I mean really, the issue is that people are still wearing graphic tees...but I digress.) Curves are making a come back, and women are sticking up for their bodies against the media. And to that I say, 'You go, sister'! So what Sophia Bush is trying to say is 'love YOUR body'!

...Unless you're a size 0?

One day I was working at my retail job, and I was helping a woman try to find a pair of jeans for her daughter. Unfortunately, we didn't carry her size in the store. I was telling her how we actually carried it online, and she could order the jeans and bring them back to us if they didn't work out yada yada yada, and this irritated her. She blurts out at me "Well not everyone can look like YOU!"

God has given us our body types. Some will struggle with weight issues, and some will not. I am not going to lie and say I have struggled with my weight my whole life, because I haven't. I have always been pretty small, and I certainly don't "Eat Less" to be that size. However, every college girl knows the feeling of looking at yourself in the mirror and realizing you don't look like you did in high school anymore. Every woman faces self-conscious body issues, and news flash: us "skinny" girls face them, too. I'm a size 00, and you think I don't look in the mirror and wish I had more curves? And I have trouble finding jeans that fit me right too, lady! Do you know how frustrating it is when you can hardly buy anything without having to get it tailored? Do you know how embarrassing it is to buy dress pants for a job interview from the juniors department? You may read this and say that my problems aren't problems, but don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes, remember? We each have our own unique struggles!

So I guess what I am trying to get at is that 0 is a size. It's my size, and many others' as well. I understand it's not the "average," but I already have enough body image issues without being told my size shouldn't even exist. What Sophia Bush is sticking up for is a noble cause, and kudos to her! But don't promote "loving your own body" if you're going to make us little girls feel less than welcome to join along. If I want to be fit, healthy AND a size 00, then that is the size I feel comfortable with and I'm not going to feel guilty about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment